If you were to study the human body, you’d learn that it can renew, heal, and cleanse itself. Unfortunately, the average person is exposed to so much that it works against the body’s natural systems to perform efficiently. Some exposure comes from things beyond your control, like air pollution and environmental toxins. The rest results from lifestyle choices like the foods you eat or harmful substances you consume.
What is Detoxification?
Put, detoxification or detoxing is eliminating harmful substances from the body. It’s often done by stopping certain toxic behaviors or patterns for a set period.
What Are The Benefits Of Detoxing?
What happens when you detox? Why should you make this a part of your health and wellness journey? Below are some of the benefits.
- Energy Boost – When your body is overloaded with toxins and harmful substances, it must work harder to operate. As the body works to cleanse itself, it drains your energy. So, by reducing or eliminating your exposure, you relieve bodily strain and get a burst of energy that outlasts any coffee or soda.
- Gets Rid of Waste Faster – The longer toxins remain in the body, the more damage they do. When you detox, your body can get rid of waste faster.
- Weight Loss – If you’re trying to shed a few pounds, you’ll be surprised at the results you get when you detox. Things like waste buildup and consuming unhealthy foods increase your weight; when you stop these poor habits, you’ll notice the pounds fade away more quickly.
- Strengthens Immune System – When your body is overwhelmed fighting off toxins, it can’t effectively fight off illness and disease. However, detoxing lighten your body’s load and improves its defense mechanisms, so you remain healthy on all fronts.
- Encourages Healthy Habits – If you’re having difficulty cutting certain foods from your diet or breaking old habits like smoking, detoxing could change that. After a detox, you’ll find that you don’t have the same cravings, and due to the positive results, you’re inclined to continue with healthy habits. When you flush your body and refrain from engaging in harmful activities for some time, you’re system reboots.
Signs You Need To Detox
How do you know if you need a detox? Your mind and body will give you signs including:
- Weight issues
- Difficulty concentrating
- Hair, skin, and nail issues
- Frequent illness
How To Detox
There are multiple detoxification methods to consider depending on your health and wellness goals. Before starting a detox, you should consult your doctor to ensure it’s safe. As committing to a detoxification program takes determination, you can always start with practical everyday solutions.
- Drink More Water – One of the simplest ways to rid your body of harmful toxins is to drink more water. Ideally, you should consume between eight glasses to a gallon of water every day. You can add some lemon or drink alkaline water for optimal results.
- Eat Detoxifying Foods – Some foods help the body detox. Such foods include turmeric, cilantro, red pepper, lemon, lime, grapefruit, beats, and cruciferous vegetables. Incorporate these into your diet for a natural daily cleanse.
- Exercise – Working up a sweat, like aerobic exercises, can help you detox. So, ensure that you’re engaging in physical activity at least five times a week.
The human body is a fantastic thing. Although it has the power to replenish itself, the body’s natural system is no match for modern-day lifestyles. Ultimately, if you want to maintain optimal health and wellness, you must do your part to reduce or eliminate harmful substances. Detoxification is an essential practice that can help give your mind and body the fresh start it needs to operate at its best.